May 14, 2011

Close – but no cigar.

The danish climber Søren Ledet is right now back in BC after his first attempt to the summit of Everest. http://www.sorenledet.com.au/wp/
"
I couldn’t believe it!
Kneeling in the snow with my back to the 70km winds I was yelling and swearing (in 2 languages) at my fingers desperately trying to force some warmth into them.
It was sometime before 3am on May 12th, I was on the ‘Balcony’ at an altitude of 8400m with no sensation in fingers that suddenly looked and felt about as useful as claws; they began to freeze almost instantly as I removed my mittens trying to switch my regulator to a full oxygen bottle. Turning to the wind the spindrift would sting my face, but I had to get my bearings and see if others were around; no I was alone.
The summit of Everest, 8848m, was still hours away but I felt I was so close…....."
Soren looks powerful and I think he does the right thing by waiting at BC. He need to take a big decision on his further ascent of the mountain..... All in and take care up there.

Photo by: Søren Ledet, Back in C4