May 24, 2011

It shall remain a dream

The Dane Søren Ledet is done on Everest - this year!
Søren was very strong but in the end he ran out of luck and strength. I hope to see you out there again.....maybe on a Danish expedition sometime ;)
"3rd time lucky perhaps? Absolutely no way – I’m spent with zero left in the tank!
My second summit attempt ground to a halt just below the Balcony (what is it with that place?) in the early hours on May 20th, Happy Birthday Jamilla!, when I had to face the fact that I had nothing left, that my strength failed me and no matter how I tried I just couldn’t fill my lungs with that precious oxygen. To me mountaineering has a lot to do with self-sufficiency and so you have to ask yourself the question; what’s the point of reaching the top – the halfway-point! – if you can’t get yourself all the way back down again?
I’d always wanted to try and climb Everest my way, on my own terms, with no guide and minimal, if any, Sherpa support – but in the end no matter how good your planning, acclimatisation, fitness, strength etc. you need a little bit of luck."
http://www.sorenledet.com.au/wp/
Photo by: Søren Ledet, C4 tents on the South Col